Week 5 in Primary 1
The kids put their engineering skills to the test this week, when they were given the task of creating a paper chain out of one piece of construction paper. Their goal was to make their chain taller than them. They were given no direction other than their goal and the materials provided. It was a great learning experience!
- 1 piece of construction paper
- 10 minutes to work
- The kids have worked on reading on their own and with a partner.
- They are practicing reading the pictures of nonfiction books, or as we call them in class “Learn About the World” books.
- The kids have learned to hunt for words within their books
- The kids have begun reading and retelling favorite storybooks.
- They read pictures and try to remember all the details from the storybook they have heard in the past.
We had our first mini writing celebration on Monday. The Grade 5 class came in to read the stories that the kids wrote. The Grade 5s asked each author questions and discussed the writing process. It was a wonderful opportunity for P1 to show off all their efforts.
The kids have begun writing true stories about themselves. We have talked about small moments.
The kids have learned:
- How to plan before writing
- Add labels
- Use an alphabet chart to help add sounds to the paper
- How to use a partner to help add to their writing
- How to stretch out words and write all the sounds they hear.
- The kids have begun adding labels to their pictures.
- How to use the word wall
- Quick Count of Dot Patterns
- The kids were shown dot pattern cards for 2 seconds and had to quickly count and then tell their partner the number of dots. They then described the dot pattern on the card.
- The kids continue to practice the rules and expectations of the class.
- They were introduced to science this week
- Role of a scientist
- Scientific method
- First experiment
- Can water make music?
- 5 glasses filled with different amounts of water
- The kids tapped the glasses to hear the sound that it made
- The kids continue to do “Turn and Talk” with a partner.
- The kids have begun giving “Shout Outs” to their classmates when they notice someone doing something interesting or well.
The kids learned how to:
- Use Book Creator
- Brainpop Jr.
- September 15 after music (after snack/recess)
If your child gets the lunch provided by the canteen, please remember to submit the lunch order this weekend. Also, contact the front office by 9:30am if you need to cancel a lunch order in the future for any reason.
On Wednesdays we will go to the library, where the kids can check out books and take them home to read. Please be sure to send them back each Wednesday so that your child can check out new books.
PE is on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Please remember to send your child with their swimming costume, towel, and goggles.
Take Home Folder
Please send the folder back with your child each day.
This weekend, I would recommend logging into Raz-Kids so that your child may listen to different stories. Also, any lesson under the measurement section on IXL would reinforce what we did this week in class.
Colleen and Tripta