Week 14 in G1!
The author Gennifer Choldenko visited Lincoln School this week! Log in and check out our class news page to learn more and see photos.
This week in reading, students practiced their good habits for solving words in nonfiction texts. Students continued to work on adding more vocabulary and detail to their nonfiction writing, in order to teach their readers even more about their topic.
In math, students took the Unit 4 assessment and we began Unit 5. In this unit, students begin learning about place value, modeling numbers with base-10 blocks and explaining how each digit in a two-digit number represents the number of tens or ones. (For the number 23, the digit 2 represents the number of tens and the digit 3 represents the number of ones.) I updated the highlighted IXL strands to match what we’re covering in class so your child can practice at home.
Students learned that the sun heats the earth and that the moon orbits the earth in science. Each day, students are recording the shape of the moon visible from earth on our class moon calendar using the “Moon” app.
Miss Iris sent an email last week describing costumes for the music showcase in December. Before sending the items listed below to school, please be sure your child’s name is clearly written on EACH PIECE that belongs to you. I also recommend sending the costume pieces in one bag labeled with your child’s name. This will help us return costume items to you when the show is over.
- long black pants (black tights and a black skirt also work)
- long sleeve black shirt (if the shirt has some writing that is fine)
- black shoes (it is okay if there is some color but they should be mostly black)
- black socks (or tights)
As we approach the holidays, many of you may be making travel plans. If your child will miss any days of school, please contact me and Miss Pragya in advance so we can make arrangements for his/her absence before you leave.
Upcoming important dates:
- Thursday 11/23 & Friday 11/24 – Thanksgiving Break, no school
- Wednesday 12/6 – ES Music Showcase at 6pm in the Globe Theatre, reception starts at 5pm, students will remain on campus after school
- Friday 12/8 – ES Music Showcase at 8:45am in the Globe Theatre
- Friday 12/15 – 12:00pm dismissal for Winter Break