Week 34 in G1!
As readers this week, students focused on looking for the lesson in a story and to keep it with them to use in their own lives. We also met with our G5 reading buddies on Wednesday to wrap up Poetry Month. Students shared several poems with his/her buddy.
In writing, students worked on finishing at least two realistic fiction stories in their series this week. We are getting ready to publish our last books of the year!
We continued working to solve and write two-digit addition and subtraction story problems in math, using different tools and explaining each step. We reviewed all we know about place value, attributes of 3D shapes, and fractions. Stop by our room to see our “Fraction Gardens” bulletin board! Next week, students will take the Unit 9 assessment and the End-of-Year Everyday Math assessment. Have your student practice the highlighted strands on IXL over the weekend to prepare.
Students planned and investigated the question “When can we see objects?” in science. Ask your child what they learned about light!
Please be sure students come prepared for swimming on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays! If you do not want your child to participate in swimming on a particular day for any reason, please inform both me and Mr. Craig via email.
Upcoming important dates:
- Saturdays 5/5, 5/12, 5/19, 5/26 – Community Saturdays at LS from 9:00am-12:00pm, see Mr. Davis’s email for more info and to sign up
- Saturday 5/5 – Spring Music Showcase, 2:00pm in Globe Theater, transportation provided, all ES students performing!
- Monday 5/21 to Friday 5/25 – Rock Out to Reading Week, more info to come
- Friday 5/25 – Last day of ASA Season 4
- Friday 5/25 – Fabulous Friday assembly at 2:30pm in the Globe Theater
- Friday 5/25 – Fun Swimming Finale after school, more info to come
- Thursday 5/31 – ES Activity Day, more info to come
- Friday, June 1- End-of-Year assembly, 11:50am dismissal